What is laser periodontal treatment?
Laser treatment can sound intimidating to many but in reality, it’s a perfectly safe and effective procedure. Making the most of modern technology, it uses precise equipment to provide a level of treatment that would be all but impossible when completed using traditionally methods.
The facts about laser periodontics
Although widely used by specialists in the US, Pure Periodontics is the ONLY specialist periodontics practice in central London to offer the Waterlase technology.
Deep Pocket Therapy is a highly effective, more aesthetic and comfortable alternative to traditional surgical procedures for patients.
This therapy changes the environment in the gum pocket through removal of inflamed tissue and root surface calculus/tartar to promote healthy tissue regeneration.
It offers patients a minimally invasive option for many procedures. For enhanced clinical results, unmatched versatility, and technological superiority, the Waterlase laser is the proven treatment choice.
How it works
- A periodontal treatment probe is put into place to measure the depth of the bone loss.
- Pulsed light is used selectively to treat the diseased tissues inside the pocket and to remove infected areas. Due to the precision of the laser, healthy tissue is left completely unharmed.
- Using special scaling methods, tartar is removed. Thanks to the effects of the laser, the removal is easier than it would be during a traditional scaling.
- A different intensity light is used during a second phase of laser gum treatment. It would cause a fibrin clot that will connect the gum to the root surface.
- A fibrin clot is created at the pinnacle of the gum by pressing the tissue against the root surface.
- Post treatment advice is provided at the end of the treatment. Special home care and dietary recommendations might also help to ensure lasting success.
What are the benefits of laser periodontal treatment?
Many periodontal lasers use heat to cut tissue. On the other hand our laser periodontal protocol combines a laser with a blast of water to provide treatment without heat. The biggest benefit is that it causes blood vessels to be sealed more quickly, which greatly reduces sensitivity and discomfort from the treatment.
Deep Pocket Therapy using the Waterlase laser is one of the least invasive methods for removal of inflamed tissue and deposits in the pockets. It is a therapy used to treat moderate – severe and advanced cases of periodontal disease, promoting ligament reattachment to the root, even in the absence of long junctional epithelium.
The Waterlase has been cleared by the FDA and research supports it’s success as an effective laser periodontal treatment.
Data that has been published recently indicates that this form of laser therapy, using the Waterlase, “led to significant improvements” in bleeding on probing, probing depth, and “appeared to be advantageous when compared to scaling and Root planing alone, due to more efficient attachment level restoration.”
To find out more about laser treatment please call us on 020 7247 7400 to speak with our friendly team or fill out our contact form.